Translate

Sunday, October 19, 2014

Week 7: RSS

RSS (Rich Site Summary) feeds can be quite useful. They allow you to view new content (usually news) from websites in a concise/efficient manner; all without having to visit the site itself. Admittedly, I've never really gotten into using them for myself; although I have helped some co-workers set them up before. Personally, I don't get too much benefit out of them. I typically prefer to visit the website directly and find the content I'm looking for.

In my opinion, my web-searching skills are good enough that I don't need the assistance of RSS feeds to find the latest items of interest on websites. Also, when viewing the entire website, after I find the content I was looking for, I am able to branch out and view the plethora of other content that the site has to offer. That being said, I did include three RSS feeds in this blog for the sake of the class. One dealing with technology news (TomsHardware), one dealing with worldwide news (BBC News), and one dealing with sports news (NPR Sports). Who knows, maybe I'll start to use RSS feeds more often now...

No comments:

Post a Comment